top of page
20201021_095603_edited.jpg

Candle Care and Safety

How to get the best out of your candle.

Let's Light It Up!


Lighting a candle is very satisfying, and we want everyone to have the best experience with the maximum amount of fuss free burn time as possible. Although candles aren't rocket science, there are a few tips to get the most out of it.

Firstly, trim your wick to approximately 5mm or 1/4 inch each time you burn your candle. Be sure to let your candles cool before trimming the wick! This helps to prevent smoking and sooting, and promotes even burning. Be sure not to trim the wick too short, or it won't be long enough to sustain the flame.


The first time you light your candle, ensure that you burn it for long enough for the wax to melt all the way to the edge of the glass or as close to the edge as possible. This will create a candle 'memory' and help the candle to burn evenly every time you light it. It also prevents 'tunneling' from occurring.  It can take 1-2 hours to create a melt pool (possibly longer in colder temperatures). 

If the candle has large botanicals or crystals, it is strongly recommended to remove these, otherwise they might obstruct the wick or create an uneven melt pool.

Try to burn your candle for no more than 4 hours at a time to prevent sooting, wick 'mushrooming' and uneven burning. As an added bonus, giving the candle a break and allowing it to resolidify means you get more burn and fragrance time. The candle is still releasing fragrance as it cools.

Once the candle has burned down to the point where there is 1cm of wax left, and the wax is completely liquid and you can see the metal wick tab (or the bottom of the glass through the wax), the candle has reached its end of life. Continuing to burn the candle until no wax is left can risk causing the jar to become too hot. This may cause the glass to crack or explode, which can result in injury, damage or fire....best to start another candle!


Respect your Candle!


Your candle is a thing of beauty, but also a vessel of hot wax and fire! Being respectful of your candle by putting safety first is important. Here are a few key rules to ensure safe and happy candle time - 

  • Remember to never leave your candles unattended. 

  • Keep candles out of reach of children and pets. Kids and animals LOVE candles. We agree. They are awesome, but so are many other adult things!

  • Only burn in a safe and open spot, away from drafts and on a stable, heat safe surface.

  • It is not recommended to move candles when lit or in liquid state. Getting dried wax out of carpet is pretty much impossible, and also the risk of burning hands on a hot glass or wax is not fun!


Is My Candle Normal?

Whilst every care is taken to provide you with an amazing product, please remember our candles are handmade. You may encounter small bubbles, some 'frosted' wax inside the jar or a slightly cracked surface around the crystals or botanicals. This is completely normal in soy wax candles and sometimes occurs due to pouring conditions, atmospheric and temperature changes. This shouldn't affect the quality of your candle. 


Candle waxes and fragrances are sensitive to both temperature and light.  It is recommended to always store your candles in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. If in the event you find your candle does not meet your expectations above and beyond these infrequent occurrences please see our refund and return policy.


Crystal Candle Decor

The crystals and botanical decorations just add to the beauty of the candle. These look fantastic when the candle is new, unused and perhaps being kept as a centrepiece for decoration! Once the candle is lit, these will start to sink into the wax pool. It is best to remove any large botanicals or crystals from your candle before lighting it. These actually look better when kept next to your candle while it is lit!  This will also prevent any obstruction to the wick which may cause the candle to go out, or a fire from occurring. Small items such as cornflower petals and small crystals will sink in your wax and shouldn't pose any safety threat when kept attended. If you do choose to burn your candle with larger pieces left in, your candle may not burn evenly and you must not leave your candle unattended. In the event your botanical does get in the way of your wick or light on fire, we recommend putting a lid over the jar to extinguish any small flame. DO NOT pour water into a candle. Should your botanicals get too close to your wick, you can carefully move the items with any non-flammable utensil. Candle safety is our priority and we cannot stress the importance of never leaving your candle unattended.

Candle Care: Candle Care
bottom of page